Saturday, April 16, 2011

Group assignment : happy?

It has been a while since the last time i wrote a post. Geez. i'm starting my week 8 (out of 12 weeks) in this semester this coming monday. As usual, time goes like a click once the assignments and works started. I had 3 mid tests last week and lots of assignments until next week.


I was struggling in my music group assignment these days. Not exactly about how difficult the assignment is, but it's more about finding myself a right group. Ridiculous? I didn't think so. It was my worry since the moment i decided to take this unit, beginning of week 1. Finding myself one of few non-music-faculty student makes me nervous. How can i make friends when this unit only take me 2 hours class a week (i know this is actually the nice part of the unit).. Moreover, i didn't play or read music for quite some time. I even did consultation with the unit coordinator, ask them whether a non-music-player will be able to cope with this unit. Whether this unit require us to play or write music. I remember so clear that Tavis, my lecturer said, "Yeah, you need to write piece of music, but don't worry, it won't be due earlier than week 8" He successfully convinced me. And i said to myself, "Okay, you'll be fine, finding some people to work on this assignment wouldn't be that hard"


I was trying to talk to someone else in every class that i attended. It didn't really work. Well, maybe i found some Hi-Bye-Friends. That's it. Make the story short, I met some people yesterday, composed a 40 sec piece of music for 4 hours and we will submit it this coming monday. Surprisingly, each person in the group didn't know each other before. They just simply put their name in the web, randomly. Woo, at least, im not the only stranger.


They are okay, i guess. BUT, i found it not easy to communicate with them, Aussies. :(

I don't mean to discriminate people or something, but it is just hard to click. Huhuhu. Sometimes i didn't get what they're saying. And even worse, because of those music vocabulary which i'm alien to. I don't know how to say, "How about if we put 4-ketuk note, rather than all 1-ketuk note.." Aaarrggg.. it was a looong afternoon. So glad that finally we finished it. at 6pm.


So this is my point, i don't have a problem in introducing myself, berbasa-basi, etc. Even i met this local people in the church today, and he said, wow your English is good. However, once i need to communicate something deeper and more complicated, it's not easy at all. I know i shouldn't say this as i don't wanna limit myself, but, It's much easier to communicate with Asian and (definitely) Indonesian.


No. i'm not frustrated. I'm just kind of disappoint that so much effort is needed even to express my thought. It's not easy to express who am i. OK. Practice makes perfect.


Semangat. Good night.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya... tetap semangat!


baa

FBS Headmaster said...

Olla! Mik...

Haha I didnt know you have a music background :D

Like you said, its not easy to share our thoughts with alien languages, but I guess if we really want it badly then we just have to work harder.

I only start to speak english when I first came to KL, before that, none at all, but just like you, because I have some desperate thoughts that I wanted to express, like it or not I had to put a lot of effort in learning and improve my vocab.

All the best Mik!